Thursday, March 3, 2016

In Rainbows Review



I remember the first time I heard "In Rainbows".  I remember downloading it back in 2007 days after it was released to the public.  I synced it onto my Ipod and listened to it on the bus to school.  The music went through my ears and opened up my eyes to something breath-taking.  "In Rainbows" was the mellow, scenic beauty that I needed right from the moment I popped in my ear buds.  Each track brings you to a different place, each moment you feel more and more encapsulated on this adventure through space, through trees, through time, and reality.  "In Rainbows" was the album I listened to before I even knew who Radiohead was.

"15 Step" brings you back to "Kid A"'s style of trip-hop drum beats that marked the rebirth of Radiohead; but didn't become a clone of "Kid A" as the album sways far away from "Kid A"'s style after "15 step".  "Bodysnatchers" goes back to the true roots of the band as the song's foundation is build upon a muddy guitar riff followed by an acoustic breakdown in the middle.  Also, "Bodysnatchers" was recorded in one live take in an English mansion.  Producer Nigel Godrich thought the uncomfortable situation would create a unique atmosphere for the recording; and it certainly did.

"Nude", "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" and "All I Need" showcase the new style constructed by Radiohead.  "Nude" has the capability to put you in a trance as the gentle drum beat accompanied by Yorke's mellow, gingerly placed vocals bring you to another world.  I imagine myself floating through space; looking at the stars and planets while I'm sitting in my chair, or looking outside my window. "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi"'s click and thud drum beat comes full circle as the arpeggios madden you into disbelief ; the sound is such an anomaly. "All I Need" follows suit as the mellow progressions and synth tones overwhelm you into isolation; as the song has a lonely feeling to it.

"Faust Arp" kicks off the second half of "In Rainbows" with another mellow rendition that speaks of feeling stuck, whether it be in a relationship, or an unpleasant situation; whichever way you take it.  "Reckoner" has the strange ability to make you dance yet it has the somber overtones that could also make you cry.  There is only a shortlist of bands that could pull off that mixture of emotions, and Radiohead is one of those bands at the top of the list.

"House of Cards" feels like a filler song as the riff is very basic, yet serves its purpose as it leads well into "Jigsaw Falling Into Place".  Right off the bat, "Jigsaw" is very upbeat and familiar to the ear.  The song doesn't experiment too much as it could be classified as a standard rock/alternative tune.  With an overly melancholic middle of the album, "Jigsaw" provides the balance needed to bring "In Rainbows" into the upper echelon of not only Radiohead albums, but albums of the 21st century.  The final note on the album is the overtly depressing "Videotape".  Yorke's vocals bring the album to a close in a funeral-esque way as I could imagine "Videotape" being in the background during a burial.  The droning piano, the tearful march off to an album soaked in rain; the final waltz.

Final Summary:

"In Rainbows" masterfully depicts depression, melancholy, and sadness.  The way Thom Yorke pours his soul out onto this album had such an impact on me in my teenage years that I've become a lifetime Radiohead fan because of it.  Song like "Bodysnatchers", "15 Step", and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" give the album balance as the overtly depressing tracks could deter you from this album after a while; but the stability makes this an album that is firing on all cylinders.  This was the album that started it all for me even if I was late to the party and listened to Radiohead's albums out of order; I'm forever grateful that this was my first taste.  "In Rainbows" is an experience unlike any other and it will always hold a special place in my music library.

Rating: 9.6/10



 

No comments:

Post a Comment